The history of Lycksele begins about 400 years ago. Then, in the early 1600s, Lycksele was the natural place for the trade between tradesmen from the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia and the Sámi people in southern Lapland. Its tradition as a market-place is still retained with the two annual markets - in spring and in autumn. These have now become popular festivals, attracting visitors from near and far.
The industrial development of the area can mainly be ascribed to the birth and continuous expansion of the forestry and the mining industries as well as the exploitation of hydro-electricity. These industrial branches are still important, even if the development of new industries has somewhat changed the picture.
1607 Lycksele is appointed church and market site. The first church is built at Gammplatsen (the Old Site) - the present homestead area, and Lycksele obtains the rights for two annual markets.
1632 The Skytteanska School is established on the initiative of Johan Skytte, Royal Councillor, and Mr Niurenius, vicar in Umeå
1673 Lycksele becomes a parish of its own.
1732 Carl von Linné visits Lycksele on his Lapland journey.
1737 A new, octagon, timbered church ready for use at Gammplatsen (the Old Site).
1794 The building of the present church in the town centre is commenced.
1799 The new church is finished.
1826 The main road Umeå - Lycksele is finished. Ferry at Tannsele.
1834 Lycksele gets its first district medical officer.
1872 The approval of the building plan for the urban area.
1884 A bridge is built across the Ume River.
1900 The Borough of Lycksele is established.
1900 The Parish of Lycksele has 5 040 inhabitants.
1910 The parish of Lycksele has increased to 8 000 inhabitants, of which 971 live in the urban area.
1924 Urban Lycksele becomes market town.
1925 The borough is enlarged to 185 hectares, 1 268 inhabitants.
1930 The railway line Lycksele-Storuman is opened.
1937 The start of mining at Kristineberg.
1941 Lycksele Market Town has 1941(!) inhabitants.
1946 Lycksele is granted its town charter, the first town in Lapland, 2 881 inhabitants.
1952 King Gustav VI Adolf inaugurates Gammplatsen (the Old Site) as an open-air museum.
1953 A state Upper Secondary School is established in Lycksele.
1961 The MB Community Centre and the new hospital are inugurated.
1966 The Zoo is moved to its present location - Bräntberget.
1969 Regular airline traffic, Lycksele-Stockholm.
1971 A new municipality of Lycksele is formed by an amalgamation of Lycksele Town and the rural municipalities of Lycksele and Örträsk, 14 589 inhabitants.
1973 The Lycksele Parish 300 years old. The Margareta Church is inaugurated.
1984 The Forestry Museum is inaugurated.
1996 Lycksele Town celebrates its 50-year anniversary.
2007 Lycksele celebrated its 400-year anniversary as a church and market site.
Lycksele was ravaged by large fires in 1888, 1893, 1897, 1911 and 1926.
Lycksele still thrives on its history. Times have changed, but the importance of Lycksele as a hub in the area remains.
Uppdaterad den 10 januari 2017